Since its inception in 2009, OH! Open House subverted the concept of public art by opening private spaces to strangers to view art. This time, Singapore’s only art walkabout makes its foray into the financial district, where the public can view offices including that of Google’s, a law firm and more.
The irony of spending a relaxing weekend back at my work vicinity piqued my interest and the voyeur in me was ignited. Instead of ceding to the glorious sun rays that beckoned me to go tanning, I dragged my lazy ass down to Marina Bay Financial Centre.. and I’m glad I did! Here are ten reasons why you should do the same this weekend.
1. Bask in the quiescent beauty of polished workplaces. Truth be told, workspaces sans the typical clamour of the ant-like workforce is pretty darn poetic. Spend some time meditating and listening to the sound of silence.
2. Self-help books replete with witty, sardonic humour? Check.
3. Be surprised by these agile folk dancing to “Bengawan Solo”.
4. Walk alongside interesting people, gain some street cred, shed some calories and get your desired tan at the same time. Hooray for multitasking!
5. Visit a law firm. Look at the amount of trees that have been sacrificed all in the name of justice! Contrary to the portrayal of lawyers in Suits, Ally McBeal etc.. lawyers’ lives aren’t that glamorous. Success is after all 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration.
6. Witness the tongue-in-cheek artwork: ‘Bomb in Bank!’
7. Listen to Deutsche Bank’s articulate representative go on about Corporate Social Responsibility, the mural they painted, their contributions to the art scene, the support they provide for young budding artists, the amount of cash they blow on artworks each year… (Sorry I get distracted easily) Oh look! That’s a Tan Swie Hian on their trading floor.
8. Enter the void. All hail my favourite work of OH! Open House 2013. I won’t spoil the experience for you… All I shall divulge is that this piece is inspired by Franz Kafka. Kudos, kudos, kudos.
9. Step into Google’s office! Even though no 2 Google offices in the world are alike, they are all just as awesome with cubes, yurts, “huddles”, video games, pool tables, cafes and “microkitchens”! #happy #joy #colour #rainbows
10. Fulfill your desire of being an industrial spy.
Venue: Marina Bay Financial Tower 3, Level 3 outside DBS Asia Central MBFC Branch
Dates: January 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20 (2013)
Admission: $20 at the door
For more information, check out their website.