Let’s head straight into the top-of-the-inbox news today, from new H&M & Carven stores in ION to a surprise announcement by MTV VJ Holly. Which means, we should all learn a thing or two about continuing our studies, ladies & gents. Continuing education for the win! Let the Government be proud of its brethren!

Carven at ION Orchard


Yes, ladies and gents: Carven’s first freestanding store in Singapore is now open. Led by creative director Guillaume Henry, Carven in Singapore stocks its modern-luxe, fresh women’s ready-to-wear collection and accessories. For the brand’s fans, a recognition of its beloved flagship Saint-Sulpice boutique will be brought to our shores – the white mosaic tiles, W-shaped mirrors and light, wooden furnishings. Carven is located at Level 3. Also on the cards is Swedish fast-fashion retailer H&M taking up Basement 2 & 3 of ION. Ironically, they are taking up the space of the former River Island store, which has closed all its Singapore branches and will come back “in 2 years”, according to its ION Orchard salesperson on its last week of operations when Popspoken went down to the store. Fashion moves fast.

Carven is at #03-12, ION Orchard, tel: 6304 1373.

Sheila Sim werkin’ that red cube

Oh, if it isn’t Singapore supermodel Sheila Sim lookin’ mighty-fine in a promotional blitz for PUMA. She works the makeup and peers into the mirror before heading off into the corridors tousling her hair and giving a fierce walk, with said red cube in tow. The only clue we get to this campaign? “11 September 2012, Raffles City, Singapore” is what the ending says. All we know is this: PUMA’s known for sportswear and F1 season is coming, so we are expecting great things from the brand. I’m not sure how a red cube fits into this picture though…

Remy Martin’s looking for Singapore’s best dance crew

This one’s if you have the abilities to charm girls and guys (we don’t discriminate) off your feet with those slick dancing feet. Remy Martin’s looking for a Singapore dance team to compete in the regional finals against Malaysia, India, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam at Zirca on 18 January 2013, for the chance to be crowned Asia’s Best Dancing Crew and walk away with a cash prize of USD$10,000. Remy Martin’s newly-minted celebrity ambassador Jolin Tsai will also be in Singapore to judge and perform at the regional finals.

Each team with a maximum of 5 dancers, aged 18 and above, may register and submit their dance video of between two to three minutes online (www.centaurdance.com) from 10th September – 7th October 2012. Fans may then view the videos and cast their votes online for their favourite crew from 8th October – 4th November 2012. Public online voting constitutes 40% of the total score; while the remaining 60% is based on judges’ scores. 10 teams with the highest scores will compete in the Singapore Finals round at Clarke Quay Central Fountain Square on 10th November 2012, 6pm – 11pm, where the public can also vote for their favourite teams on the spot, together with the judges.

Popspoken has 4 pairs of tickets to giveaway! For more details, click here.

VJ Holly says goodbye to MTV

Holly Grabarek is hanging up her shoes at MTV to head back to college (yes, school is more important, kids!). She made the announcement on a recent episode of The MTV Show, which is co-hosted by VJ Rich. “I have had the best two years of my life. Working at MTV has been an awesome adventure. Never would I have thought I would be able to face a crowd of 15,000 and survive! I’ve met the coolest people but most importantly I’ve grown so much as a person. I feel much more confident and the challenges I have faced at MTV like public speaking have made me so much more sure of myself as a person,” says VJ Holly.

VJ Holly was discovered when MTV trawled the blogosphere in 2010 in an extensive search for its next VJ.  Besting a huge pool of aspirants in challenges and fan votes, she was hailed the new VJ in front of over 15,000 screaming fans during World Stage Live In Malaysia 2010.  Since then, the part Polish, part Sinhalese-Chinese VJ has hosted MTV events across Asia gaining street cred as one of the most current VJs of our time. Fans and viewers can still catch VJ Holly on-air until 20 October at the season finale of The MTV Show.

All-new episodes of The MTV show air every Saturday, 1pm with repeats at 12am & 9pm on Saturday, 11.30pm on Sunday, 8pm on Monday, 11pm on Tuesday & 11am on Thursday (all Singapore time).